The overarching goal of the SFP Coalition multiannual work programme between 2018 and 2021 is to prevent cancer and chronic diseases through smoking prevention at EU and national level with a special focus on young people and health in all policies. In the third year of the multi-annual programme, the SFP Coalition will work on:
- The multi-annual campaign for raising tobacco excise duties through national and EU-level policy advocacy
- The multi-annual campaign to raise awareness of and support for tobacco control research
- Developing and implementing an awareness campaign towards policy-makers to recognize the crucial role of tobacco control in the prevention of non-communicable diseases and promotion of sustainable health systems in both national health policy and in development policy
- Encouraging civil dialogue by continuing to build capacity of health organisations to engage in the monitoring the EU’s track and trace system and its 2018 strategy and action plan to fight against illicit trade.
- Developing an evidence-based advocacy campaign for strengthening tobacco advertising, promotion and sponsorship regulations at national and EU level
- Raising awareness and building broad support for tobacco control and FCTC obligations amongst policy makers and the health and research community
- Coordinating European civil society positions and activities at the 9th session of the Conference of the Parties to the FCTC and 2nd Meeting of the Parties to the Illicit Trade Protocol, with a view to supporting global advocacy and actionable decisions for civil society in the EURO region
- Monitoring, exposing and rebutting tobacco industry interference (throughout all policy and advocacy work).
SFP will also continue engaging Coalition members in EU level campaigns and supporting national efforts to improve tobacco control policies by strengthening capacity for effective civil dialogue and tobacco control advocacy at national, European and global levels.