3rd Health Programme (2014-2020)
Joint Action on Strengthening cooperation between interested Member States and the Commission in the area of tobacco control (JATC 2) [JA-01-2020]
For many years tobacco consumption has been considered the single most important cause of preventable morbidity wordwide. Efforts to reduce the devastation of tobacco related death and illness in the ...
For many years tobacco consumption has been considered the single most important cause of preventable morbidity wordwide. Efforts to reduce the devastation of tobacco related death and illness in the EU, consist of the Tobacco Products Directive (TPD), the Tobacco Advertising Directive (TAD) and the Framework Convention on Tobacco Control (FCTC) from WHO.
The general objective of the Joint Action on Tobacco Control 2 will be to provide support of the implementation of TPD and TAD.
The specific objectives of the program are:
1. To ensure appropriate coordination and evaluation
2. To support dissemination of information to the target groups
3. To integrate the JATC results into national policies
4. To facilitate the exchange of good practices between Member States in order to improve implementation of the Tobacco Products Directive (TPD) and related implementing and delegated acts in a number of areas of tobacco product and e-cigarette regulation, including laboratory capacity, analysis and assessment.
5. To ensure greater consistency in the application of the TPD to ensure a fair internal market for tobacco and related products, especially regarding market surveillance and enforcement.
6. Promote activities consistent with the objectives of the WHO Framework Convention on Tobacco Control.
7. To identify and assess the current legislation regarding, but not exclusively tobacco advertising and advertising of emerging products.
8. To identify and develop best practices regarding tobacco endgame strategies and for smoke-free environments.
As more and more countries step up in the game of tobacco control and prevention against tobacco related cancer, a unified Europe is more important than ever. The commitment is also showed in the approaching new EU Cancer Action Plan, where EU MS will stand together in the fight against tobacco. We, the partners of the JATC 2, are commited to championing this fight.
Start date: 01/10/2021 - End date: 30/09/2024
Call: Direct Grants for Joint Actions with Member State's Competent Authorities under the Annual Work Programme 2020 of the 3HP
Topic: Endgame Strategies