3rd Health Programme (2014-2020)
Improving health care for adults and children with intellectual disabilities. [SOEEF2016]
Official WHO statistics show that people with intellectual disabilities have a poorer overall health status, have lower educational access, experience barriers in daily life, particularly in access to...
Official WHO statistics show that people with intellectual disabilities have a poorer overall health status, have lower educational access, experience barriers in daily life, particularly in access to health care and health education [SEC(2006)410]. Key risk factors for poor health issues have been documented such as no specialized disability training for health professionals, a lack of physical activity, limited access to basic health care services, and an overall lack of understanding on Intellectual Disability by the medical/clinical community.
In summary we can point out that people with intellectual disabilities*:
• have a wide range of chronic and acute health issues and conditions. In many instances, more frequent and severe symptoms than the general population.
• are twice as likely to have significant visual problems and at much younger age.
• are hardly ever engaged in vigorous physical activity and find it difficult to make themselves understood when speaking with health professionals.
• health conditions are may be similar to the general population, the impacts can be greater on those with ID.
• Experience higher mortality rates as a result of higher rates of cardiovascular diseases.
The general objective of SOEEF is to provide year around training and competition as well as well-being and health care initiatives for athletes across the EU 28.Furthermore the goal is to expand the network of trained coaches and health care professionals through training model, seminars and meetings. The ultimate goal is to engage more athlete, families, service providers and further stakeholders into Special Olympics programs to guaranty the growth of sport, well-being and health opportunities throughout the EUan as well as have positive impact on health and well-being of people with ID in general.
Start date: 01/01/2016 - End date: 31/12/2016
Call: Health Programme Adhoc Call for invited (named) beneficiaries
Topic: Training Of Healthcare Professionals