Have time for a quick survey?
We want to provide you with the best experience, so your feedback is very valuable to us. All you need to do is answer 5 simple questions
Takes 3 minutes
Protection of your personal data
This privacy statement provides information about the processing and the protection of your personal data.
Processing operation: Europass platform
Data Controller: DG EMPL
Record reference: DPR-EC-04686
The European Commission (hereafter ‘the Commission’) is committed to protect your personal data and to respect your privacy. The Commission collects and further processes personal data pursuant to Regulation (EU) 2018/1725 of the European Parliament and of the Council of 23 October 2018 on the protection of natural persons with regard to the processing of personal data by the Union institutions, bodies, offices and agencies and on the free movement of such data (repealing Regulation (EC) No 45/2001).
This privacy statement explains the reason for the processing of your personal data, the way the Commission collects, handles and ensures protection of all the personal data you provide. It also explains how that information is used and what rights you have in relation to your personal data. It specifies the contact details of the responsible Data Controller with whom you may exercise your rights, the Data Protection Officer and the European Data Protection Supervisor.
The information in relation to processing operation “Europass platform” undertaken by the Commission's Directorate-General for Employment, Social Affairs and Inclusion (DG EMPL) is presented below.
Purpose of the processing operation: The European Commission collects and uses your personal information to:
- Offer customised suggestions – Your data will be used to understand and convey reliable estimations about users’ preferences and interests with the aim to offer Europass users tailored suggestions of skills, courses and jobs (e.g. skills that you may have based on your past experiences, job opportunities that may be of your interest based on your skills and preferences, etc.). As a user, you will have the choice to switch off these suggestions and decide to reset all information being used to provide you with tailored suggestions.
- Assess Europass performance – Europass will collect and aggregate data based on users’ activity to understand the performance of the platform. Data on key performance indicators such as the number of visits to the platform and the number of registered users will be published on the Europass platform periodically and used to evaluate the performance of the platform. Personal information of users will not be used for this purpose.
- Conduct labour market analysis – Information such as age, nationality, learning and work experience, and skills will be collected and used for statistical purposes. In order to ensure anonymity, your data will be aggregated and anonymised, to produce only high-level statistical indicators that do not include any personally identifiable information. Such processing complies with Article 24(2)-(4) of Regulation (EU) 2018/1725. This data will be used by the European Commission to identify trends in the field of education and employment, predict future skills needs and improve the services offered by Europass.
We process your personal data, because:
- processing is necessary for the performance of a task carried out in the public interest or in the exercise of official authority vested in the Union institution or body;
- the data subject has given consent to the processing of his or her personal data for one or more specific purposes;
- processing is necessary in order to protect the vital interests of the data subject or of another natural person.
In order to carry out this processing operation DG EMPL collects the following categories of personal data:
- First name(s)
The provision of this personal data is mandatory to create a Europass profile. If you do not provide this information, possible consequences are that you will not be able to create a profile in Europass, and hence you will not be able to create a Europass account.
Additional non-mandatory information collected by Europass to create a full profile and benefit from the services offered by Europass include:
- Date of birth
- Contact information (i.e. e-mail address, website, phone number, instant messaging social media)
- Work Experience
- Education and Training
- And additional information on skills, qualifications and learning that users may choose to input.
DG EMPL keeps your personal data only for the time necessary to fulfil the purpose of collection or further processing as described in the section on why and how do we process your personal data, namely for a period of 5 years after the last update of your e-Portfolio content. During this period, you will receive notifications on all aspects of your data in Europass.
All personal data in electronic format (e-mails, documents, databases, uploaded batches of data, etc.) are stored on the servers of the European Commission.All processing operations are carried out pursuant to the Commission Decision (EU, Euratom) 2017/46 of 10 January 2017 on the security of communication and information systems in the European Commission.
In order to protect your personal data, the Commission has put a number of technical and organisational measures in place. Technical measures include appropriate actions to address online security, risk of data loss, alteration of data or unauthorised access, taking into consideration the risk presented by the processing and the nature of the personal data being processed. Organisational measures include restricting access to the personal data solely to authorised persons with a legitimate need to know for the purposes of this processing operation.
Access to your personal data is provided to the Commission staff responsible for carrying out this processing operation and to authorised staff according to the “need to know” principle. Such staff abide by statutory, and when required, additional confidentiality agreements.
The information we collect will not be given to any third party, except to the extent and for the purpose we may be required to do so by law.
You have specific rights as a ‘data subject’ under Chapter III (Articles 14-25) of Regulation (EU) 2018/1725, in particular the right to access, rectify or erase your personal data and the right to restrict the processing of your personal data. Where applicable, you also have the right to object to the processing or the right to data portability.
You have the right to object to the processing of your personal data, which is lawfully carried out pursuant to Article 5(1)(a).
You have consented to provide your personal data to DG EMPLor the present processing operation. You can withdraw your consent at any time by notifying the Data Controller. The withdrawal will not affect the lawfulness of the processing carried out before you have withdrawn the consent.
Where you wish to exercise your rights in the context of one or several specific processing operations, please provide their description (i.e. their Record reference(s) as specified under Heading 10 below) in your request
The Data Controller
If you would like to exercise your rights under Regulation (EU) 2018/1725, or if you have comments, questions or concerns, or if you would like to submit a complaint regarding the collection and use of your personal data, please feel free to contact the Data Controller.
The Data Protection Officer (DPO) of the Commission
You may contact the Data Protection Officer (DPO) of the Commission with regard to issues related to the processing of your personal data under Regulation (EU) 2018/1725.
The European Data Protection Supervisor (EDPS)
You have the right to have recourse (i.e. you can lodge a complaint) to the European Data Protection Supervisor if you consider that your rights under Regulation (EU) 2018/1725 have been infringed as a result of the processing of your personal data by the Data Controller.
The Commission Data Protection Officer (DPO) publishes the register of all processing operations on personal data by the Commission, which have been documented and notified to him.
This specific processing operation has been included in the DPO’s public register with the following Record reference: DPR-EC-04686